Frequently Asked Questions

Return Home

Why do I need an appointment? I only have a couple of things.
Appointments are required so that our facility technicians can get you in and out with very minimal wait times. Additionally, you are dropping off hazardous material at the site and it must be properly dealt with daily. Chemicals are dangerous and require care when processing!

Why are some dates blank on the scheduling calendar?
Blank dates indicate that appointments for that date have been filled or we are closed.

Do you have a cancellation list? I'd sure like to get in sooner if possible.
While we do not have a cancellation list, we recommend you check our website often. Cancelled appointments will appear on our appointment calendar as an open appointment.

I'm dropping off gasoline. Can I get my container back?
At this time, our site is unable to pour off gasoline into containers located at our site. You are welcome to bring your gasoline in plastic bottles containing a cap or screw top. Please clearly mark the container "gasoline".

Do I really need to leave an email address? I don’t want unnecessary correspondence. My inbox is already too full.
No, it's not required. If you do leave it, you will only get 3, possibly 4, emails from us. The first is a confirmation email that contains our address, directions, and dropoff instructions. The second email is an appointment reminder that is sent the day before your appointment. The third email is a brief survey regarding our site. The possible fourth would be a confirmation if you cancel your appointment or a notification if we need to reschedule you for some reason. We do not use your email address for any purpose other than communication regarding the specific appointment.

Is there any other place in Johnson County that will accept Household Hazardous Waste?
Yes! The City of Olathe has a facility. They will accept Household Hazardous Waste from any Johnson County, KS resident. Appointments are required. Call 913-971-9311 to schedule or visit their website at .

Can I bring electronics to the Johnson County HHW site?
No. However, Secure e-Cycle ( will accept any item with a cord, except for items that contain Freon, such as deep freezers, refrigerators, and dehumidifiers. Please visit their website for a complete list of accepted items. They are located at 3052 S. 24th St. in Kansas City, KS. Please call them directly for details at 913-871-9040. For electronics that contain Freon, please contact Mid-West Recycling Center at 816-479-2949.

Do any Johnson County cities accept electronic waste?
Yes. Please visit for other locations that accept electronic waste.

I want to purchase recycled paint. Do I need an appointment?
No, you do not need an appointment. Paint is sold from 8:00am until 12:00pm and then from 1:00pm until 3:00pm on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

Return Home